Course Date: 28th May-4th June (8 day inclusive) Read More
Expedition Outline:The Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, in conjunction with an external provider, is offering MMU Outdoor Studies students the opportunity to participate in a week long sea kayak expedition to the NW coast of Scotland from Tuesday 28th May to Tuesday 4th June 2013.
The aim of the expedition is to give suitably experienced paddlers the opportunity to take part in a 6 day self-contained sea kayak expedition around the Inner Hebrides, off the North West coast of Scotland.
The focus will be on skills development rather than mega miles per day! The practical subject areas that we would expect to cover during the expedition include:-
• Individualised coaching to improve paddling skills
• Packing a sea kayaks for expeditions
• Practical coastal navigation
• Tidal planning
• Weather predictions on expedition
• Use of VHF Radio
• Incident prevention & incident management (rescue & First Aid scenarios)
• Wild camp craft skills
• And Fishing from a sea kayak
Responsibility will be given to participants to lead as many elements of the expedition as possible, under the guidance of the expedition leader.